Michael Bay’s newest & possibly last foray in the Transformers franchise is a total bust. I didn’t think he could’ve done it any worse than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen but he somehow managed to do it! Transformers: Dark of the Moon could very be the stinker of the year for me.
As usual I’ll do my best to not spoil the movie for any of you but here are 6 reasons why I hated Transformers: Dark of the Moon:
- The 2 leads and had no chemistry at all! Shia LaBeouf and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley made for a very terrible on-screen couple. I was actually hoping for a tragedy in order to see a spark of romance between them but nada…
- The characters weren’t fleshed out and there was very little depth in both the Transformers and the human characters. I couldn’t find an emotional anchor that could help me relate to the events of the movie.
- Some of the CG effects and character designs look like they were ripped off from The Matrix. The spinning worm thingy that Shockwave commands looks like a Matrix Sentinel somewhat in its worminess.
- The movie was really violent and I daresay not the kinda stuff that kids (who are the biggest fans of the franchise right now I think; what with all the toys and all) shouldn’t be watching.
- The Autobots were not heroes. Michael Bay depicted them terribly by potraying them as ruthless & heartless warriors. These are not the Autobots that I grew up with.
- And last but not least; the plot was TERRIBLE. There were so many holes & inconsistencies that I could probably fly a Lockheed Blackbird through it. Where’s Jetfire when I need him?! Bad writing rears its ugly head here and this is probably the biggest gripe that most of us would have about the movie.
I’m really disappointed by this one even though I dialled down my expectations considerably. Michael Bay is one of my favourite directors when it comes to flashy visuals but somehow I did not enjoy the eye candy at all because of all the other negative things I felt as I watched the movie. A shiny wrapper does not make for good candy.
I give Transformers: Dark of the Moon an un-transformable 1 out of 5.