Oowah! Driving up to Penang was quite an experience with family members in tow but it was FUN, FUN, FUN. The past 2 days have been really awesome. My uncle’s birthday celebration was a music-filled blast that had his guests groovin’. Ha ha! The crowd was made up of older folk and they really enjoyed themselves on Friday night at the Penang Old Free Association. I’ve got videos and photos to prove it! Look out for them soon.
Yesterday was just pure gluttony. Here’s what we had starting with breakfast and ending with dinner:
- Hokkien mee (prawn mee) & fried kuey teow at Kim San Coffeeshop for breakfast
- Assam laksa in Balik Pulau for lunch
- Lok lok, pasembur, crab popiah and fried kuey teow at Padang Brown
- Superb coffee, roti bakar and soft-boiled eggs at a simple alley way stall called Toh Soon Cafe somewhere in China Town
- We capped the day off with a big family makan in a simple Chinese restaurant in Gelugor
It’s been a good trip to Penang. It was good to be around my extended family as we celebrated my uncle’s 80th birthday. It was good to be able to listen on all my uncles & aunties and their stories. It was good to hang out with my cousins. I can’t put up any pictures yet cos’ I’m really annoyed by my HTC Touch Pro cos’ it went bonkers on Friday morning before I left and I can’t sync anything anywhere now. I didn’t have time to fix it before I left which nags me somewhat.I’ll probably have to do a hard-reset and reinstall all my software when I get back. I must remember to copy out all the GPS co-ordinates I picked up here in Penang. It’ll be such a waste cos’ some of the food discoveries here are just meant to be shared.
I’m definitely gonna need that run tomorrow morning when I get back to KL.