We Malaysians have a curse. Mua ha ha ha ha ha! What is it you ask? It’s present at every appointment. It rears its ugly head at every event. And most of all we are all prisoners of it because we feed it and we excuse ourselves for it because everyone else does it. All of us have it but we don’t do anything about it. What is this “curse” that I speak of? Why, it’s the curse of Malaysian time of course!
I have been infected by this disease like others in our fair land and it’s a terrible habit to pick up. We Malaysians are never on time and even when we are; we’ll end up going back to our old ways because others around us perpetuate this terrible cycle of being late. The average Malaysian is usually 15 to 30 minutes late from my observation. A 9am morning meet up would start at 9.30am most of the time and so would a 7pm wedding dinner that winds up starting at 7.30pm earliest. Sure, sometimes there are valid reasons like traffic but the thing is we all know what traffic is like in the places where we live and yet we end up deluding ourselves into thinking that we are the exception for that day.
Here are some things that I have been thinking that I could do to break the Malaysian curse of being late in my own life:
- Tip #1: Don’t do anything last minute before leaving for an appointment; you’d just end up getting distracted and losing track of time.
- Tip #2: Spend 15 – 30 minutes before departure time prepping the things that you need to take with you.
- Tip #3: If it’s an early morning meet up then spend some time the night before prepping for it. Morning rushes are absolutely the worse!
- Tip #4: Don’t feel stupid being early at a meet up; keep doing it and I believe the other party will notice it and it’ll encourage appointments to start on time.
- Tip #5: Voice out disapproval of late meet ups. Sometimes you just need to sound people off for them to realise.
I’m gonna try to apply all the above and I hope I’ll be able to be on time for meet ups. Which reminds me… I better get off the computer now cos’ I gotta be at CP Tower near Phileo Damansara 1 & 2 by 8.30 and it’s 7.51am now! Gaaaah… will I be late?! Ta ta!